Technology adoption sounds simple. You just start using new technology. But anyone who's gone through a software implementation or digital transformation initiative can tell you getting any organization to adopt new technology is challenging.
If you want to ensure successful adoption, you've got to understand the basics, starting with what and how adoption works before moving on to the befits of a successful adoption.
In this post, we're going to cover:
- What is Technology Adoption
- How Technology Adoption Works
- Business Benefits of Improving Adoption Rates
- Advantages of Technology Adoption
- Improving Technology Adoption With A Digital Adoption Platform
- Advantages of a Digital Adoption Solution
- Apty Adoption Platform
What is Technology Adoption
Technology adoption is the successful integration of new technology into your business. Adoption means more than just using technology. When you've adopted new technology, you'll use it to its fullest potential and see the benefits of using the new system. For example, if a company wants a new way to track projects, it might consider purchasing a new project management system. One or two departments start using the new system. Each department uses it differently, while other departments continue relying on spreadsheets and other ad hoc systems. In this case, the company is using the software, but they haven't adopted it.
Adoption is a systematic approach to implementing technology so that all appropriate teams in the organization utilize it.
How Technology Adoption Works
Technology adoption isn’t a once and done task. It’s an ongoing process with several phases:
- Selection - Before you adopt new technology, you’ll need to select what technology you want. This phase should include a needs analysis so you can best identify which technology best solves your business problems.
- Planning - Once you’ve selected your technology, you’ll need to make a plan for how to implement it. Review your infrastructure, staff, and processes and see how they’ll need to change as you adopt the new technology.
- Communicating - Communication is one of the most critical aspects of change management. This is more of an ongoing need than a phase, but it's essential at the beginning of a project. Start communicating frequently as you start the adoption process, so people are informed and prepared for the change.
- Training - You’ll also need to train people on how to use the new technology. You should plan for how to train before launch and how you’ll continue training people in the post-implementation phase.
- Testing and Deployment - When you’re ready to start rolling out your new technology, you can start with a smaller group or department. This beta group can test the technology, processes, and training. You can use what you learn from this group to make changes before rolling out to the entire organization.
- Expansion - Once you've tested your new technology, you can begin rolling it out companywide.
- Monitoring - You'll want to make sure you monitor your progress and use the right tracking tools to quickly identify issues. Once you identify problems, you can start the process over again by planning for how to solve the challenge and then going through the remaining steps to implement the changes.
Business Benefits of Improving Adoption Rates
At this point, you may be thinking that technology or product adoption sounds like a lot of work. You’re not wrong. Successful technology adoption does require a lot of planning and commitment. Is it worth the effort?
Yes! Technology adoption has several benefits from improving your ROI on your technology investment to increasing the productivity of your workforce.
Advantages of Technology Adoption
|Improved ROI||Product adoption improves your ROI on your technology investment by ensuring your technology is utilized to its maximum potential. If you pay for technology and then don't use it, you'll waste your entire investment. Even if some parts of the technology or small groups inside the organization use the technology, you could likely still see a negative return on investment. Successful company-wide adoption is the key to getting the largest return.|
|Increased Productivity||Technology adoption also makes your organization more productive. Technology should help your users get more done in less time. Successfully adopting technology should lead to an increase in the output of your workforce. If you do not see increases in productivity, it could signal that your processes need updating or users are struggling with an aspect of the new technology.|
|More Efficient Processes||Technology adoption should also increase your efficiency. You should be able to respond to issues and customers more quickly. Process completion times should decrease.|
Improving Technology Adoption With A Digital Adoption Platform
If you want to improve your technology adoption rates, consider using a product adoption or digital adoption platform. This growing category of SaaS providers focuses on helping users navigate and adopt web-based applications.
The features of each digital adoption solution can vary, but most of them include:
● On-screen guidance,
● Integrated support or help content, and
A product adoption tool shows users where to click and what to do next. They can help users complete their work instead of just reading how they should do their job.
Advantages of a Digital Adoption Solution
Digital Adoption Platforms offer several benefits when implementing new technology. They can help you realize the benefits of your new technology sooner.
By making new technology easier to use, Digital Adoption Solutions can help you decrease the amount of time it takes to adopt new technology. Apty clients report they can fully adopt new software 2-3 times faster using Apty’s adoption tools.
|Decreased Training and Support Costs||
When adopting new technology, training and support costs can quickly spiral out of control. Digital Adoption Solutions decrease training and support costs by providing on-screen guidance. Users are less likely to open a support ticket when they can use the adoption tool to show them where to click and what to do. Some Apty clients report up to a 70% decrease in support tickets after implementing Apty’s guided workflows.
|Improved User Onboarding||
User onboarding is another area when companies struggle when adopting new technology. Not only do you have to onboarding your entire userbase during implementation you also have to onboard new hires as they join. Digital Adoption Solutions make onboarding easier. On-screen guidance allows users to be productive on their first day - even if they've never used the technology before.
You can’t improve your product adoption if you don’t know what the problem is. The analytical tools in a digital adoption solution like Apty can help you identify where users are struggling so you can deploy extra help to overcome the challenges.
Apty Adoption Platform
If you’re looking to improve your technology adoption, consider using Apty’s advanced Digital Adoption solution. Apty helps companies adopt new technology faster and makes technology easier for your users. Adoption challenges Apty can solve include:
● User onboarding
● Usage Analysis
● Cost Management