Change is never easy, especially in a large organization. Whether you’re changing software, processes, or organizational structure, change can make your team members feel uncomfortable. People are naturally resistant to change as described in the classic book “Who Moved My Cheese?” So before you starting moving the cheese inside your company, you’ll want to review these tips to overcome the most common change management challenges.
How to Overcome Change Management Challenges
Tip 1: Develop a Change Management Plan
Making a major change in your businesses requires planning. Your plan should address:
- Change Scope
- How big is the change?
- Who does it impact?
- What is and is not going to be a part of this rollout?
- When should the change be fully implemented?
- What dependencies are there in the rollout plan?
- Who is responsible for each part of the rollout?
- Who is responsible for ensuring compliance with the changes after rollout?
- What training will employees and managers need for this change?
- How ready is the workforce for this change? A readiness assessment will help identify training deficiencies and common objections to the change.
- What metrics will be used to determine if the change was successful?
- How and when will the metrics be collected and reviewed?
Ensuring that your change management plan covers these topics will help avoid some of the challenges organizations face. Clearly defining the scope and responsibilities will help ensure the project stays on track. Identifying dependencies and training needs will help alleviate frustration and confusion for end users, and making a plan for how to track and measure the project will allow you to make more informed decisions.
Tip 2: Invest in the Right Tools
As a part of your change management plan, you’ll also need to identify what tools you’ll use. You’ll likely need tools for:
- Planning and project management
- Training and Support
You may have existing tools that will work to support your change management efforts, but as a part of developing your change management plan you should consider if you need to acquire additional tools. As a product adoption platform, Apty supports your communication, training, support and analytic efforts.
Tip 3: Communicate
A lack of communication can quickly create resistance to change. In the absence of information, people assume the worst about how the change will impact their jobs. The key to overcoming resistance to change is to communicate frequently before, during and after the change.
Tip 4: Provide Ongoing Support
Change isn’t instantaneous. It will take several rounds of repetition before a new process or software become routine for end users. One of the main challenges in both training and change management is the forgetting curve. Unless someone does something on a daily basis, they’ll struggle to retain the information they learned. You’ll need to provide ongoing support to ensure employees continue with the change. That support should include both in-person and on-screen guidance and feedback.
To learn more about how Apty can help you overcome change management challenges, schedule a demo today.